For Christmas this year we all got my mom and her girls a cooking class at our local Someone's in the Kitchen. One thing has led to another and we finally this week got around to partaking in mom's Christmas gift this week.
Someone's in the Kitchen is both a resturant and cooking school in downtown Walla Walla. They have kids classes, couples cooking and....bread making classes.
Gene, the chef and teacher at Someone's in the Kitchen.
My sweet momma...when we lived in southeast Alaska my mom would GRIND her own flour and bake bread for our family. We lived so remotely we couldn't get to the grocery store. My mom would call in her order on the camp radio and cross her fingers she would get what she asked for when a float plane flew out everyones' orders. This lady knows her way around some flour, yeast and water. It has been a few years however...and we were making some recipes that were new to her. Plus and evening with her two daughters....what's not to like!
On the menu for the evening was whole wheat bread, polenta bread, fennel crackers and sourdough flat bread with a variety of toppings.
My sister-in-law brought her very own "bun in the oven" to our baking class
We "baked" our flat bread on the open grill...
Our sourdough flat bread....have mercy it was good!
We also topped them with things like our fresh made pesto...
Thinly sliced cooked potatoes and caramelized onions....
tomatoes, kalamata olives and olive oil.
We did not leave hungry.
It was so good.
I must bake soon.
Yum.
OK, lots to talk about here:
ReplyDelete1. I am going to visit you, and we are going to visit this place! I love it. (We have them around here, but this is what is on the menu: fried chicken, cornbread, steak, and mac & cheese)
2. CARLIE IS PREGNANT!!!! That is awesome! What are they having? Ooo I'm so excited.
3. Your mom looks fabulous.
4. You lived in Alaska as a kid? I knew you worked up there doing the fishing nets, but really, a float plane? Holy guacamole. We have some more talking to do!
Wishing we lived closer because I just KNOW we would be pals and our kids would be perfect together!
That looks like so much fun! I know that you are enjoying being close to your momma again.
ReplyDelete